Sunday, December 4, 2016

This is the Portable Inverted-V Antenna From My Website


Portable Inverted-V
This is based on a design by WE5Y which originally appeared in QST Magazine published by the ARRL. I modified the original
design in how the fishing poles attach to the mast, the top insulator, and length of the fishing poles.

Portable 20-Meter Inverted-V

This antenna is made from a 31 foot Jackite telescoping fiberglass mast. The Jackite is a bit heavier than others and the price is much
better. You can get 2 of these for the price of one of the competitor's masts. If you break a part they are available directly from Jackite.
The dipole design is from an issue of QST magazine with a modification of the cross piece that holds the fishing poles and the top that is the center insulator of the dipole. These Jackite poles came from Ebay. The seller may no longer be selling or they changed their name so the link is removed. In 2007 these were about 35 or 40 dollars each. They can be purchased directly from Jackite
I chose to use a 1-1/4 inch PVC cross and install 2 one-inch reducers in each horizontal end to enable the 1" PVC pipe pieces that hold the fishing poles to be inserted. The fishing poles are 15 ft. crappie poles from Wal-Mart and cost about $13.00 each. Wal-Mart also has the 10 foot ones which are called out in the QST article for about $10.00 each. I chose to just slip the 1 ft pieces of PVC over the fishing pole handles and installed a 1" to 3/4" reducer in the outboard end to center the fishing pole and a 1 inch to 1 1/4 inch adapter on the butt end. This seems to work fine and it makes assembly a bit easier and the whole works a bit lighter. For the top I used a 1/2" PVC T and cemented a piece of 1/2" nylon rod I had to it to mount the apex of the antenna to the top of the mast. The nylon was drilled to fit snugly over the mast before assembly. RG-8X is used for the transmission line although I used RG-58 for the prototype with good results. Both coax types gave me 1:1 to 1:1.5 at the base of the mast across the 20 meter band.

Since I have plenty of speaker stands from doing pro sound work I just use them to mount the mast by removing the plug from the butt of the mast and secure the mast with gaffer's tape. No I do not use duct tape it ruins things. Duct tape has it's places and uses, but not on my masts, cables, and various other things. Speaker stands are stronger and cheaper than the antenna stands. Stands and gaffer tape are available from Parts Express. http://www.partsexpress.com/


Here is the whole works broken down for transport or storage.
The antenna parts.



There was a bit of a breeze on this day.
There was about a 15 MPH breeze when this photo was taken The tent stakes hold the base at the braces where they attach to the upright. I use speaker stands because I have them. I would probably use them if I had to purchase them. These cost less than antenna stands I find and them more sturdy (250# limit).
For the original article from QST magazine, June 2005, please click here www.hellocq.net/forum/
QST is a registered name and copyright of the American Radio Relay League (ARRL). To find out more about the ARRL and QST Magazine
please visit their site: www.arrl.org
for now..






Inverted-V deployed using a speaker stand secured to the ground with tent stakes.







5 comments:

  1. When it comes to computer work at home I'm lazy. I program and debug and work with PCs all week long at work. At one time working with PCs at work and again at home was fun. I did too much of it. Now unless it is something I really want to do in Linux or programming I will spend as much time as needed to accomplish my goal even when my XYL wants me to do other things. When it comes to Windoze and the internet I am lazy. So I copied and pasted one of my web pages here as a test, and it worked. So I will continue to move my site here until I'm satisfied. Then I have new content to add. Not sure how Blogger pages work. I'll find out.

    I tested the links after the post went live and they work.

    73

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Thanks for posting your modification to the Inverted V. Could you plse post a photo of the top of the antenna showing your modified apex. This would be very helpful.

    73

    VE3YTZ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the late reply. Recently moved from Florida and started a new job. Any further photos of this or any of my things will need to wait until I get settled and relocate all the things that were packed.

      Delete